Uneven-aged silviculture: insights into forest adaptation in times of global change
2nd Announcement IUFRO 1.05 & 1.09 Conference
- What are the challenges of uneven-aged silviculture to forest adaption under climate change for sustainable wood production and biodiversity?
- Quantifying species and spatial structure changes related to climate change.
- Ecosystem services of uneven-aged/mixed species silviculture in the light of changing social needs.
- Dynamics of uneven-aged and/ or mixed forests under climate change.
Date: 18 - 20 September 2023
Venue: Mendel University in Brno, Czech Republic (MENDELU) & University Forest Enterprise Křtiny (UFE)
|17 September 2023
||Sunday|| Travel day & evening icebreaking
|18 September 2023
||Monday||Conference Day 1|
|19 September 2023
||Tuesday||Conference Day 2 & after lunch in-conference field trip to University Forest Enterprise|
|20 September 2023
||Wednesday||Conference Day 3, IUFRO 1.05 business meeting & social evening on Chateau Křtiny|
|21 September 2023
||Thursday||Post-conference field trip Day 1|
|22 September 2023
||Friday||Post-conference field trip Day 2|
|23 September 2023
||Saturday||Post-conference field trip Day 3|
|24 September 2023
- Transformation of even-aged forests to uneven-aged forests after 50 years (1973-2023) – the rate of change of tree species composition under climate change (presentation of 50 years data set and practice in the field).
- Beech silviculture – from even-aged stands to value increment silviculture. Is it the best way to compare production and the social order?
- Long-term transformation of even-aged stands to Dauerwald – which Dauerwald models are optimal for the future? Presentation of spruce-beech-silver fir-maple model and oak-hornbeam-scots pine model.
Post-conference field trip:
- Thursday – 100 years celebration of Mendel University Forest Enterprise – „Silviculture for climate change and society“ – presentation of diversified uneven-aged, multi-aged silvicultural models and training stands for students and foresters in practice.
- Friday – Kinský estate Žďár n. Sázavou - Conversion of spruce even-aged stands into multi-aged mixed stands – experiences after 28 years; what knowledge from natural forest dynamics can we use in the uneven-aged forestry – presentation and field walk through natural forest Žákova hora on the Kinský estate.
- Saturday – Transformation of even-aged scots pine stands into the mixed oak-dominated forests in the buffer zone of Podyji National Park; restoration management for biodiversity support. Evening in the local winery;